The word “detoxification” has become a household name and experience over the past decade, after being defined as a “hoax” by multiple medical doctors because the traditional medical theory is that “our liver naturally detoxifies, and it is silly to think we have to make our bodies do it better.”
Do you breathe the air? Do you ever have social alcohol? Do you ever eat processed foods? Do you ever experience stress? Do you take medications either occasionally or daily? Are you over 25 years old? Do you have any symptoms that take away from you feeling absolutely amazing every day of your life? If you don’t have any symptoms, would you like to age as gracefully as possible? If you answer yes to any of these questions, you could use a little help cleansing your body.
Reasons to enhance detoxification
Our cells’ are as healthy as their ability to take in nutrients and eliminate waste. Imagine your house. You bring things in that you purchase, whether it be food, clothing, furniture, toiletries, etc… You use them. You create waste. If you don’t stay in front of the waste you create, it builds up. It takes focus and time to keep the house clean and organized and functioning efficiently. And, if you don’t take the garbage out regularly you will have unwanted visitors. Think also of your appliances that need upkeep as well as replacing when they fail. We take care of our environment at different levels of focus and efficiency, just like we care for our bodies with different levels of focus and efficiency. Although each cell does the best it can in the environment we give it, our liver and kidneys are the major filters of our body that must remain efficient in order to unburden the body at large. The liver is very complex. To make it simple, there are two steps to liver metabolism of waste. They are simply called Phase I and Phase II.
Nutrients needed for Phase I Detoxification are listed below with the food sources they are most commonly found in.
- B2, B3 and B6 – legumes, nuts, eggs, meat, leafy vegetables, grains and dairy.
- Folic acid – legumes, grains, leafy vegetables, poultry, shellfish and liver
- B12 – eggs, animal protein and dairy
- Glutathione – asparagus, broccoli, avocado, raw eggs and garlic.
- Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine – dairy, red meat and eggs
- Flavonoids – colorful fruits and vegetables
- Phospholipids – soybeans and eggs
Nutrients needed to shuttle intermediary metabolites through to phase II are:
- Carotenes and Vitamin C – fruits and vegetables
- Vitamin E – wheat germ, nuts, seeds, whole grains, green leafy vegetables
- Selenium – fish, shellfish, red meat, grains, eggs, chicken and garlic
- Zinc – meat, seafood, liver, eggs, dairy and whole-grain products
- Manganese – pineapple, legumes and nuts
- Coenzyme Q 10 – fish and red meat
- Thiols – garlic, onions, arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, watercress, bok choy, turnip, mustard and collard greens, rutabaga, daikon radish, turnips and kale
Nutrients needed for Phase II Detoxification require amino acids that come predominantly from proteins – fish, meat, beans and dairy:
As we age, nutrient status depletes. Our food chain is becoming more deficient with over cultivation of the soil. Our load is increasing. “Load” refers to substances that pass through the liver every minute that needs to be broken down and eliminated.
The food industry allows significant processing, which introduces dyes, preservatives and toxins to our body. The air that we breathe accumulates more pollutants daily. Each year, 2,000 new chemicals are released on the market. Not all are fully tested for their effect on the human body.
As we age, we also don’t digest as well, absorb or eliminate as efficiently. This creates an accumulatory affect within the body. This accumulation opens the doors to our weak spots and we see degeneration and suffering.
There are several Detox Products at Health Food Stores. These are good products. The main aspect that is missing with these products is that they lack the nutritional explanation of what foods to eat while taking the supplements. Without this piece it could be a waste of time and money. The most comprehensive program I have seen with patients is a product made by Orthomolecular called Core Restore. It has a full booklet of information explaining the detoxification process, food lists and recipes to eat for the 7-day detox as well as the products that assist the body’s detoxification pathways.
(republished from DrRamsey.com)